Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stuff to Drink Here

Oh gosh, when I first started blogging about my stay in Italy with the hope that I'd be able to write every day that I could, I originally thought I would run out of things to write about. Then during my travels around Italy and France, I thought I would have too much to talk about. But now that I am done traveling (as I will be staying in Turin the rest of my time here), I am once again afraid that I might run out of things to blog about.

Actually, there are so many interesting things here that I probably will be able to have something to write about for the next 11 days (wow, it's almost time to go back home!). BUT, I will probably run out of photos to use!

But let's not waste today's entry. Let's talk about drinks! The non-alcoholic kind...

I'd have to say that other than coffee, the popular beverage here seems to be water - both regular and sparkling. It seems like everyone in the office has a bottle. But water is just water, so let's instead focus on drinks here that are different from the US. As I may have mentioned before at some point, high fructose corn syrup is basically non-existent here, and sweet non-diet drinks use sugar instead.

Here is a popular orange soda, which is very much like Orangina. Orangina is French, but over here in Italy they have the San Pellegrino orange soda, as well as Orangina-like Fanta. They also have Fanta that tastes like US orange soda though.

Look at the foil cap... how cute! Not all the cans have these, but I suppose it keeps the drinking surface clean.

At some point over the summer, they replaced the San Pellegrino orange soda in the vending machine at work with Fanta Zero. This diet soda is grapefruit flavored, and even though I am not personally a fan of neither grapefruit nor diet sodas, I'd have to say that this soda is actually kind of delicious.

As for my favorite drink here (other than coffee, of course), it would have to be the peach iced tea. It's probably the fact that they use real sugar here, but it tastes really different from how it does in the US. At first, I bought the tall 1.5 L bottles to drink at home.

But recently I bought a box of 0.5 L bottles so now I can bring peach iced teas to work!

The other drink that I have on a regular basis here is Coke, which tastes very similar in my opinion to the ones back at home.

Well that's all for today. For the next two days I'll be showing you some of the big sights to see in Turin, including the famous Shroud of Turin. Then this weekend, Fernando and I will be seeing more of the town, so hopefully I'll have more pictures to show and more to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment