Thursday, January 22, 2009

2008 Oscar Nominations

The 2008 Oscar nominations were released today with, let's say, more than a few major disappointments.  First off, here is the list of nominees.  And here is the list of movies I saw this year:
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • The Dark Knight
  • Doubt
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Gran Torino
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Kung Fu Panda
  • Man on Wire
  • Milk
  • Revolutionary Road
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • WALL-E
Now some observations and opinions about the nominations:
  • Best Actor: Someone watch Revolutionary Road and honestly tell me that Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't deserve a nomination.  Definitely a much better performance than Brad Pitt's, and perhaps even rivaling Frank Langella's and Sean Penn's.  Ditto for Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, though his omission seems a little more reasonable to me.
  • Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger is a shoo-in for this one.  Philip Seymour Hoffman's and Michael Shannon's nominations are well-deserved.  Josh Brolin -- maybe...
  • Best Actress: Again, watch Revolutionary Road and tell me that Kate Winslet doesn't deserve a nomination for that.  Though she did win Golden Globes for both movies (Best Supporting Actress for The Reader), so I am curious to see that movie.
  • Best Animated Film: WALL-E is a shoo-in, and may have even been a contender for Best Picture, had it been submitted (which would have, I assume, made it ineligible for the Best Animated Film category).
  • Best Directing: I'm not too big of a fan of The Dark Knight and have no problem with it not being nominated for Best Picture, but I still think it's blasphemous to not nominate it for Best Directing.
  • Best Picture: Don't even get me started.  But if Slumdog Millionaire doesn't win in this (relatively) trashy quintet of nominees, something is really wrong with the Academy.
  • Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): This is a tough one to call.  I've seen 4 of the 5 nominees, but in my own opinion, I'd have to choose Frost/Nixon to win this one.
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: A 166 minute movie that is equivalent to a waste of about 136 minutes.  How it got nominations in anything non-technical is beyond me, and the pleasure I'd get from seeing it go 0-for-13 would be greater than the pleasure I got from watching the movie (close to none).
So here is my current top 5 of the year, keeping in mind that I do still have several movies yet to see, most notably 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days; Frozen River; Happy-Go-Lucky; Iron Man; Let the Right One In; The Reader; Synecdoche, New York; and The Wrestler.
  1. Revolutionary Road
  2. Gran Torino
  3. Slumdog Millionaire
  4. WALL-E
  5. Frost/Nixon

Update (6/17/09): Since I first wrote this, I have seen The Wrestler, Frozen River, Iron Man, and The Reader.  All of them were great.  I'd have to say that Iron Man is now #5 on the above list, with The Wrestler squeezing in as an honorable mention, pushing Frost/Nixon down to #7.  (Note: I did, in fact, like Iron Man significantly more than The Dark Knight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment