Friday, January 23, 2009

Shoo-in

Wow, 3rd post in the last several hours after weeks of nothing.  Must be a lucky day.  In my previous post, I had originally used the term "shoe-in."  But upon Googling "shoe in," I ran across this page, which says that it should be spelled "shoo-in."  (This is now corrected in the previous post.)

The origin of the term "shoo-in," it seems, comes from horse racing, when a horse was so much faster than the rest that one could merely shoo it to the finish line rather than having to use more extreme measures.

The website has an impressive list of common English errors.  It reminds me of a book Michele has about common mistakes in English, though this website seems to include some idioms (e.g. shoo-in) and cultural references as well.

Speaking of errors, here is an embarrassing misspelling that occurred over the entirety of a television ad I saw today.

Dr. Who?  Oh dear...

No comments:

Post a Comment